Books Through the Ages

My taste in books is pretty eclectic. Favorite genres include mystery and suspense, romance (contemporary and historical) and womens' fiction by authors like Kristan Higgins, Maeve Binchy, Marion Keyes, plus paranormal romance, the occasional sci-fi and steam punk, and magical realism. My adult daughter sometimes persuades me to read Young Adult or graphic novels, but those aren't my go-to reads. I have two young granddaughters so I collect kids books, too - both old and new.

Recently I have picked up some oldies but goodies by authors I like. These books don't always meet the criteria I would expect from a contemporary book (whatever the genre). The mysteries are sometimes more creepy than cozy and, unfortunately, some older books make observations about race, color or even gender that I wouldn't stand for in a current title. With historical romance, I select reading material based on authors I have discovered in recent years - Eloisa James, Julia Quinn, Julie Ann Long, Lisa Kleypas, Loretta Chase, Courtney Milan, Tessa Dare, Lorraine Heath, Anna Campbell, Monica Burns, etc. 

The biggest leap back in time takes me to THREE MEN IN A BOAT (to Say Nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome, published in 1889. I came across this book in my aunt's bookcase (the same bookcase where I found my first Agatha Christie - FUNERALS ARE FATAL). As I flipped through it, I was intrigued. I read it the same day, and it now holds a firm place as one of my favorite books of all time. It's one of the few books that made me laugh out loud. (THE THURBER CARNIVAL by James Thurber, published in 1945, is another book that hit my funny bone.)

My husband, Marty, and I both latched on to Charles Morgan's SPARKENBROKE on my father's recommendation. He loaned us his 1936 copy (we later purchased a copy of our own) and ever since reading it Marty and I have periodically cast a version of the book we hope to see in film one day.

I was hooked on Vera Brittain's books - particularly TESTAMENT OF YOUTH (1933) but also TESTAMENT OF EXPERIENCE (1957). She wrote many other books but those are the only ones I've read.

Agatha Christie's books were first published in the 1920s. I started reading her books in the 1960s so was lucky enough to read some when they first came out. Her books led me to Mary Stewart, Dorothy Eden, Patricia Wentworth, Josephine Tey, John Dickson Carr, Evelyn Anthony, Barbara Michaels, Velda Johnston, Ngaio Marsh and Dorothy L. Sayers. A particular favorite of mine is THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER (1959) by Philip MacDonald, who also wrote vintage mysteries like THE RASP, MURDER GONE MAD and WARRANT FOR X. THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER holds the questionable honor, in my opinion, of having the most appalling movie adaptation ever made, despite its all-star cast.

A few random favorites from long ago:

*My parents gave me their extremely worn copies of Gene Stratton-Porter's classics FRECKLES (1904) and GIRL OF THE LIMBERLOST (1909). I was about nine when I read those, sitting on a chair in my closet to get away from the noise of four younger siblings. Both were memorable but I did have nightmares about some of the more graphic scenes.

*FAIR BLOWS THE WIND FOR FRANCE (1944) by H.E, Bates - I read this in my twenties. It really sucked me in.

*HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY (1939) by Richard Llewellyn - This book added to my fascination with Wales. I visited Wales many times in the 1970s but sadly, haven't been back since.

*DADDY LONG-LEGS (1912) by Jean Webster - My mom introduced me to both the book and the movie, starring Fred Astaire and Leslie Carone. I still love it.



*THE HOUSE OF GREEN TURF (1969) by Ellis Peters - A recent find, that brought back fond memories of the Felse mysteries. I'm sure I have some around here someplace! (This is the version I own, but this is not my photograph. Post a comment if this is under copyright.)

I'll probably have to do additional blogs on this topic as I remember more old favorites. What are your oldies but goodies?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When We Were Very Young

Their Names Live On In Flowers

The Superior Scribbler Award