Trick or Treat - Gothics and Beyond

Image result for trick or treat free clipart gif

I have my daughter to thank for this topic. She is a makeup blogger (I should say "vlogger" since she mostly focuses on videos these days), but for a change of pace she did a post on her favorite spooky books. Here's her video:



I've read a lot of the books she mentioned, and I agree with her comments. The first really scary book I remember reading was THE UNINVITED by Dorothy Macardle.

Around the same time - I was in high school - I discovered the gothics of Victoria Holt, books like MISTRESS OF MELLYN and BRIDE OF PENDORRIC. I also enjoyed Anya Seton's GREEN DARKNESS, many of Phyllis A. Whitney's and Dorothy Eden's books, and everything by Mary Stewart. Soon I added more authors to the list: Evelyn Anthony, Velda Johnston and a few male authors, like Edgar Allen Poe. Stephen King later joined my list of favorites, even though sometimes his books were too scary - books like CUJO and PET SEMATARY weren't for me, but I loved THE STAND, FIRESTARTER and the short story collection, NIGHT SHIFT.

I like suspense and thrillers but not gore or horror. I'm a huge fan of mystery and suspense short stories. I'd barely hit puberty when I discovered Alfred Hitchcock's short story collections, as well as Twilight Zone and Outer Limits anthologies, and Ray Bradbury's short stories. Bradbury's The Ravine is one of the scariest short stories I ever read, up there with Bradbury's The Wind.

Pretty much any Alfred Hitchcock anthology will have a few real chillers. One of my favorite collections is ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: STORIES MY MOTHER NEVER TOLD ME. I remember "The Man Who Sold Rope to the Gnoles" gave me nightmares. I can still remember the opening lines (and/or the last lines) of some of my favorite spooky short stories. What I can't remember and what is driving me NUTS, is which anthologies these stories were in. I'm not great at remembering titles, either. I kept a lot of my old books but nowhere near all of them, so whenever I find a vintage paperback with mystery short stories, I add it to my collection.

In between reading and re-reading my favorite spooky and/or suspenseful mysteries, I'll try to squeeze in a few of my favorite mystery movies, too. A campy old favorite, THE LAST OF SHEILA, is now available on DVD and on YouTube. It's been a long time since I've watched THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH and - talk about campy! - MURDER BY PHONE (aka THE BELLS).
Image result for happy halloween free clipart gif






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When We Were Very Young

Their Names Live On In Flowers

The Superior Scribbler Award